Las Palmas of Gran Canaria is the city and municipality with greater number of inhabitants of Canary Islands . It conforms the ninth large city more populated with Spain . Located to the northeast of the island of Gran Canaria, of which he is capital, also shows the capitalidad of Province of Las Palmas and of Independent Community of the Canary Islands (this last one, shared with Santa Cruz de Tenerife ). of Spain lodges soothes permanent of Delegation of the Government in the archipelago.
The municipality has an extension of 100.55 km ² ( ISTAC, 2003). Its altitude is of 8 meters on the level of the sea (in the most southern part). The climate is of little precipitations, with an average temperature of 22°C.
The fight extended by a period of five years, costing a great number of lives, mainly in the native side, that lacked means sufficient to defend in front of the armies sent by Kings Católicos . Even so, the resistance was ferocious. The end of the conquest would arrive in 1483, with the incorporation of the island to Corona of Castile on the part of Pedro de Vera, that obtained the submission of native of Gáldar in the zone the northwest of the island.
In 1485 moves the diocese from the Rubicón to the Real one of Las Palmas. The importance of the city would grow gradually, constituting Bishopric of the Canary Islands, the first Court of Santa Inquisición, Real Hearing of the Canary Islands and the residence of Commanders in chief of the Canary Islands. Although capitalidad as Century XIX was understood in did not exist in the Archipelago, given the Residence of the Commander in chief can be considered that he was capital of the Canary Islands during part of centuries XVI and XVII; later, although without legal and real meaning, continued being considered capital honorary of Canary Archipelago.
Test of importance that was acquiring the large city is scale that realized Cristóbal Columbus in August of 1492 to carry out repairs in the rudder of the Pinto ship, besides to change sails original of Girl (the triangular candles by squaring, done turned that it into the fastest caravel of the expedition), before dividing for the Gomera . This one was the penultimate scale before the discovery of America .
During these first centuries of life, the city became a very active point economically, had mainly to the commerce of the sugar cane. In Century XVII took place a recession because of the brake that as much underwent the agrarian exports to America as to Europe. During the time of numerous splendor was attended piráticos attacks, that extended in the time until Century XVIII .
In 1927, a Real Decree of the dictatorship of Miguel Primo de Rivera ended the unique province of the Canary Islands, with capital in Santa Cruz de Tenerife . It supposed the birth of the new provinces of Santa Cruz de Tenerife and Las Palmas . Las Palmas of Gran Canaria became capital of this last one, that integrated to the islands of Gran Canaria, Lanzarote and Fuerteventura . The fight by the economic control of the islands made be born the call insular Lawsuit with until then capital of the Canary Islands: Santa Cruz de Tenerife.
Francisco Franco, being commander in chief of the Canary Islands, divided the 18 of July of 1936 from Las Palmas of Gran Canaria for Africa, in which it represented the beginning of the revolt that lead to Spanish Civil War . In the Madrid Hotel the room is conserved intact in which the day previous to the coup d'etat against the republic made night the general.
In 1937 and still in the heat of Spanish Civil War, the municipality of San Lorenzo is annexed to Las Palmas of Gran Canaria after the execution of its mayor Don Juan Santana Fertile valley and leaves from the elect town hall during II Republic, being this one reduced to a mere district of the insular capital, ignoring the Law of Policeman of 1935.
Several lustrums after the conclusion of World War II noticed certain symptoms of tourist recovery, that materialized in Christmas of 1957 when landed in Airport of Gando, an airplane of the Swedish company Transair AB with 54 passengers. It finished beginning the era of the tourism, main economic motor of the island and the canary archipelago at present. During years 70 and 80, Las Palmas lost its tourist character to the benefit of the municipalities of the south of the island.
After the democratic restoration of 1977, the city has had mayors of different sign, although only Juan Rodriguez Doreste ( PSOE ) and Jose Manuel Soria Lopez ( PP ) has enjoyed lasting mandates. Present Mayor of Las Palmas of Gran Canaria is the Socialist Hieronymite Saavedra, chosen in the 2007 elections.
In Las Palmas of Gran Canaria 377,203 people reside ( NSI, January 2007), a population that grows every morning by the affluence of those who moves from next urban nuclei, such as ( Telde, Arucas, Gáldar, etc.), to develop its professional workings in the insular capital. Its metropolitan area is tenth of Spain, with 616,903 inhabitants, to whom there would be to add the floating population. According to University of Syracusa, Las Palmas of Gran Canaria is the city with the best climate of the world. This study, published in 1996, analyzes 600 cities with popularity as tourist destiny. One is based on climatic variables like the annual average temperature, that in the grancanaria capital is of 22°C. To this benign climate it contributes the fact that the city linearly extends between two coastal strips (on the one hand, the Reconciled axis Marine Beach of the Alcaravaneras ; on the other, Beach of the Quarries ): the double breeze that is received from both allows to one better cleaning of the contamination and a greater environmental refrigeration.
The city owns diverse parks and places like those of Santa Catherine, San Telmo, Doramas and Romano, to which more recent others like the park of the Rehoyas (with 100,000 ms ²) and the park are added Juan Pablo II (with 120,000 ms ², who is the major of the Canary Islands, although will be surpassed by the one of the Mayordomía, in the district of Tamaraceite, when this one is finished).
The low city presents/displays a linear distribution throughout the coast, with a main artery, the Marine Avenue, crosses that it from an end to another one. Since the beginning of the millenium, with the creation of the circumvallation highway, many points of the city are accessible without having to cross the urban center.
Las Palmas of Gran Canaria is divided administratively in five Districts, that as well subdivide in Districts not necessarily coincident with the traditional districts. Each one of the districts is administered by one Together Policeman of District, with competitions centered in the canalization of the citizen participation of the same. The last administrative division of Las Palmas of Gran Canaria dates from the year 2004 and structures to the city and its municipality in the following districts and districts (population data of 2006):
The results (or if so the candidates) of the different elections can be consulted:
information of districts and districts, in its corresponding article **
Next the main districts of the large city are indicated:
In the district of Vegueta are the Consistorial Houses, Cathedral of the Canary Islands, the Episcopal Palace, the Regental House and the House of Columbus.
Cathedral of the Canary Islands began to be constructed in 1497, and was abrió to the cult in 1570. A great number of architects participated in the project, reason why in their construction several architectonic styles are observed: owns a neoclassic facade, has altarpieces of Baroque style and its sacristy is of plateresco style. The cathedral owns 13 chapels.
The House of Columbus is a set of several buildings located in the nucleus of the city. The tradition indicates that Cristóbal Columbus happened through her in first from its trips to America. It emphasizes the great cover in the Place of the New Pillar, created by Néstor Poplar . The central patio owns Renaissance characteristics, and in the parade ground it emphasizes his gothic well.
Crossing the precipice of Guiniguada in the direction of Port of the Light locates the district of Triana, call thus by the similarities that, in its origins, had with the homonymous district of Seville. The district was structured around the High street of Triana, via of great architectonic beauty and releases commercial tradition. Near her buildings like are raised Theater Perez Galdós, Literary Cabinet, or the Church of San Francisco.
A joint proposal is being elaborated so that the districts of Vegueta and Triana are declared World-wide Patrimony of the Humanity by UNESCO . However, for some years already they have come recognizing the patrimonial values that the historical helmet of the city locks up. Vegueta was declared Joint National Historical-Artistic in 1973 and, years later, in 1993, was recognized the historical nucleus of Triana .
According to a carried out study for the magazine " Científico" world;, Beach of the Quarries is one of best urban beaches of the world. Their sandy coast has about 4 kilometers in length, extending from the Finishing nail to Audience Alfredo Kraus, where is celebrated annually Festival the International of Cinema of Las Palmas of Gran Canaria, the Festival of Operates and, jointly with canary Santa Cruz de Tenerife and other localities, the concerts of the Festival of Music of the Canary Islands. The beach owns a natural bar to about 100 meters of the coast, that reduces the surge on the border and conforms a very valuable ecosystem. Due to the rise of the real estate business, the value of the ground in this zone is the second most expensive one of the city, only surpassed by the Minilla, district of recent urbanization.
The metropolitan area of Las Palmas of Gran Canaria most extensive and is populated with the Canary Islands. It can distinguish a first immediate ring and ampler other. First it includes the bordering municipalities ( Telde, Arucas, Santa Brígida and Teror ), with a population of 540,415 inhabitants (2005), where good part of the industrial and commercial activity of the island is concentrated. On the other hand, the amplest ring practically agrees and so it establishes the law of great cities, including a radius of 20 km: within this ring they inhabit 619,565 people. If we took like reference the North conurbations, South and center of Las Palmas of Gran Canaria with other localities of the island, this number ascends to more than 700,000 inhabitants.
Finally it is the concept of “island-city”, that considers to the totality of the island with its 802,257 inhabitants like metropolitan area of Las Palmas of Gran Canaria.
The service offered by the company Guaguas Municipal counts on a main station (San Telmo, shared with the company of Global interurban transport ), two special terminals (Theater and Manuel Yearling calf, well-known like Port) and three interchangers (Santa Catherine, shared with Global, Hole of the Beach and Tamaraceite (in construction).
Guaguas Municipal offers 40 lines of urban transport, that cross so much the low part as the discharge of the city. The main lines are the 1 (Theater - Port), 2 (Tree-lined avenue of Columbus - Port), 12 (Port - Hole of the Silver) and 30 (Tree-lined avenue of Columbus - Santa Catherine, by the Rehoyas). In addition, two circular lines exist (0A: Santa Catherine - Santa Catherine, by Alcaraveneras) and 0B (Santa Catherine - Santa Catherine, by High City).
Global, company of Guaguas interurban, owns 119 lines, many with origin or destiny to the capital. This company arose in the year 2000, product of the fusion of the previous interurban lines Salcai and Utinsa.
Also the Tourist Guagua exists, that crosses the sites of more interest of the city with guide in several languages.
The Train of Gran Canaria (TG) is a project of Railroad proposed initially like alternative to go of Las Palmas of Gran Canaria to Maspalomas, although later its prolongation has considered until Agaete . Its drawing up complete would be: Agaete - Gáldar - Guide - Arucas - Las Palmas of Gran Canaria (San Telmo) - Telde - Airport of Gran Canaria (Gando) - Neighborhood - San Fernando de Maspalomas - Maspalomas.
Another project is Street car of Las Palmas (of Gran Canaria), that would cross the low city of the same form that at the moment realizes line 1 of guaguas, with a MF of 5 minutes and a time of route of 35 minutes. Its drawing up would be: Theater - San Telmo - Luis Doreste Silva - Leon and Castillo - Mesa and Lopez - Santa Catherine - Port.
House Museum of Columbus is in the Place of San Antonio Abbot, in the back of the cathedral. Its exhibition turns on the history of the Canary Islands and its relation with America. It owns 13 permanent exhibition halls, a library and a training center specialized, as well as diverse spaces destined to temporary activities. The complex consists of several houses, one of which was the residence of the old governor (more well-known now like house of Columbus), visited by Cristóbal Columbus during its first trip to America in 1492 . It is organized in five thematic areas: America before the Discovery, Columbus and his trips, the Canary Islands: it nails strategic and base of experimentation of the New World, History and genesis of the city of Las Palmas, and Painting of Century XVI at beginnings of XX .
House Museum Perez Galdós is located in the other historical district of the city, the one of Triana . Perez Galdós is the native house of Benito . Here the best documentary bottom is on this grancanario novelist, with an ample collection of documents, books, furniture and personal objects of the writer.
Néstor Museum is in the district of City Garden . Dedicated to the modernist painter Néstor Martin Fernandez of the Tower, was inaugurated in 1956 within the architectonic set of Canary Town, conceived by he himself and constructed by its brother Miguel Martin Fernandez of the Tower . It owns 10 exhibition halls, as well as a center of documentation and pedagogy.
Elder Museum of Science and the Technology is an innovating space, of interactive character, dedicated to the scientific and technological culture. Located in the Elder building, that data of end of Century XIX, has 4,500 ms ² of exhibition halls, interactive factories, modules, cinema of great format and greenhouse of ecosystems.
Marine Museum, located in the old station of the Jet Foil, has about 1,000 ms ². Next, when the extension works finish, it will count on an interactive giant swimming pool that will simulate the bay, in that a great boat could be manipulated by the visitors.
Atlantic Center of Modern Art (CAAM), inaugurated in 1989, is one of the most important references of the cultural and artistic life of Canary Islands . One is in charge to disclose the art done in the islands in relation to the rest of the world, especially with Africa, America and Europe. It owns temporary and permanent exhibitions that include from the historical vanguards to the last tendencies. Located in the street of the Balconies of Vegueta, conserves the original facade of Century XVIII.
Theater Perez Galdós was designed by the architect Francisco Jareño and Alarcón in 1867 . Its present aspect, with some modifications, must to the interventions of Navarrese Fernando and Miguel Martin Fernandez of the Tower, after the fire that almost completely destroyed in 1928 . This last one counted on the collaboration of its brother, the painter Néstor of the Tower, that was in charge to decorate the stalls, the halls and the scene. At first Theater of Tirso de Molina was called, until in 1901, agreeing with the opening of “Electra”, adopted the name of the canary writer Benito Perez Galdós . After remodeling works, the theater again reopened its doors in April of 2007.
Theater Whose, in the scene of the old Cinema Whose, canary Miguel is a work of the rationalist architect Martin Fernandez of the Tower. Its main room has capacity for 940 people, distributed between the two amphitheater and stalls. It owns in addition an ample patio that the organization of events allows outdoors. An alternative room and of tests with capacity for a hundred of armchairs is being constructed at the moment.
Insular Room of Theater is peculiar a scenic space that rises in the main ship of one old church. In 2007, after remodeling works, the room returned abrir to its doors to the public, welcoming small assemblies of local companies.
Guiniguada Theater, at the moment closed in the hope of reforms, has been scene during years of the theater work representation numerous of canary production.
Palace of Congresses of Gran Canaria is in the facilities of Week Institution of the Canary Islands, with a gauging for 800 people in 16.
Center of Initiatives of the Savings bank of the Canary Islands (CICCA) occupies one of the buildings realized in the middle of century XIX in the district of Triana by Manuel architect Ponce of Leon. It is a small center of congresses with more the outpost technology and capacity for 500 people.
The city counts on an ample network of libraries, distributed by the diverse districts. Next to the 11 municipal libraries it is necessary to review these three centers:
the Insular Library, that counts on capacity for 500 users in its three plants, besides an assembly hall and more than 100 connections of computer with 20 joining points to Internet.
During Carnival of Las Palmas of Gran Canaria, normally between January and February, can be enjoyed multiple activities, as popular mogollones (verbenas) and the finery of election of the queen and drag queen .
|Random links:||Afsluitdijk | Dawns | Hemiedría | Juan Jover Sañés | Sébastien Chavanel|